Hugh Gallagher House
80 Queens Road, Sackville, N.B.
Built c.1831, this two-storey house with rear addition is an example of the early Greek Revival style of architecture. It is similar to the W. Albert Smith House in Upper Sackville (c.1830) and the Christopher Boultenhouse House in Sackville (c.1840). All three houses were built on the former Old Post Road.
The house was built by Hugh Gallagher, bridge builder, farmer, hotel owner, and general entrepreneur. The Phinney family, beginning with Harvey Phinney, early tinsmith and town councillor, owned the house for over 100 years, with the exception of a ten-year period in the late 1800s when Salem Baptist Church used it as a parsonage.
|This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; for fuller details see Hugh Gallagher House|
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 19th CENTURY sites