Tantramar Campbell Campbell

Index

Welcome !

The CAMPBELL CARRIAGE FACTORY MUSEUM is located at 19 Church Street, Middle Sackville, New Brunswick. From Exit 504 on the Trans-Canada Highway take Route 940 north 3 km to Middle Sackville. At Silver Lake turn right on Church Street. At Middle Sackville Baptist Church turn left and the museum is immediately on your right.

Check out our location with the help of Google Maps .

The museum complex consists of three structures: the main, two-storey building, with reception area at the rear (left, in the above photo), the blacksmith shop (centre, in above photo), and the storage barn used for display of exhibits (right in above photo).

Right: A glimpse of the main building viewed from the storage barn. Exhibits include carriages and sleighs manufactured in the carriage factory over the years.

View

Summer hours : 28 May to 25 August, Tuesday - Sunday, 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Regular admission is $3/person, $7 for a family, and free for members.

The Campbell Carriage Factory Museum closes for the winter, but is open year round by appointment : call 506 536-2541.

Experts from King's Landing Historical Settlement have confirmed that the Campbell Carriage Factory in Middle Sackville, built in 1838, is one of the best existing examples of a 19th century industrial site in Eastern North America. For over a century (1838-1949) the Factory was an important part of the local economy and it is significant enough to be designated as both a provincial and a national historic site.

With the retiral in 1949 of the last two elderly employees the factory was locked up and all its contents left undisturbed. For almost half a century the building with its treasure trove of materials and machinery lay hidden from sight.

It was with great enthusiasm that in 1998 the Board of the Tantramar Heritage Trust took on a major restoration of the carriage factory site focussing on "the horse era of Tantramar." Some 6000 objects discovered within the building formed the basis for the contents of the museum. Continuing restoration work and further enhancements of the property in 2008 and 2012 have ensured that this historically significant site is preserved for future generations and is available to the public as a museum of unique interest and importance.

At the rear of the property stands the monument to the Acadian village of Tintamarre, located in this area. See ACADIAN SETTLEMENT OF TINTAMARRE .

From this point there is a fine view over the expanse of "the Great Marsh" :

View

LINKS

For information on historical markers placed by Town of Sackville (2000) and Province of New Brunswick (2001) see the Historic Sites listing for Campbell Carriage Factory .

The site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; see Campbell Carriage Factory Museum

The site is featured on the Virtual Museum of Canada (VMC) web site at Campbell Carriage Factory Museum

The site is listed by Waymarking ; see Campbell Carriage Factory Museum


ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

The Trust gratefully acknowledges support from the Young Canada Works program, delivered through the Heritage Canada Foundation.

The assistance of the New Brunswick Heritage Branch (Wellness, Culture and Sport) is gratefully acknowledged.

The Trust gratefully acknowledges investment in the AGORA educational project by the Federal Department of Canadian Heritage


Home      About Us      Upcoming Events      Historic Sites     
Boultenhouse Heritage Centre      Resource Centre      Campbell Carriage Factory Museum     
Tantramar History      Publications      Newsletters      Yorkshire 2000      Sackville 250     
Links      Site Map