Tantramar Gone Sprague

Baxter

Baxter House, 2009
17 Salem Street, Sackville, N.B.

BAXTER HOUSE
1910

After acquiring this and the adjacent property Charles Fawcett had Sackville Woodworkers build two houses on spec in 1910. This house was at first rented then sold in 1912 to J.W. Crowell the first Professor of Civil Engineering at Mount Allison University. In 1936 the university acquired the property and rented it to faculty members including Philosophy Professor Clayton Baxter (after whom the building was named) and later Rev. Donald MacIntosh, the first Mount Allison University Chaplain. Latterly it was used for departmental offices.

Along with the neighbouring Sprague House this building was an excellent example of the Craftsman style popular in the early 1900s. The style was inspired by the work of the two California brothers Charles and Henry Greene who were influenced by the English Arts and Crafts movement. Typical are the sloping roofline, full width porch with eave overhang and exposed rafters, and solid square supporting pillars. Numerous pattern books were available and the designs for Baxter (and Sprague) House probably came from such a source.

Mount Allison University deemed both Baxter and Sprague Houses surplus to their requirements and offered the buildings for sale at a nominal sum to anyone who would preserve them by moving them to a new site. Although several persons showed an interest in purchasing the Baxter and Sprague Houses, in the end no offers were received and the houses were demolished in 2009.

Baxter

Baxter House: Side View


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of Gone But Not Forgotten Sites

.