Tantramar Gone Sprague

Bandstand
Photo: Donna Sullivan
Town of Sackville Bandstand 2012
72 Main Street, Sackville, N.B.

BANDSTAND
1910

In 1909 the Town of Sackville acquired land on the west side of Main Street on which a bandstand was erected the following year. The site was adjacent to the former Brunswick Hotel and opposite Allison Avenue. Later the bandstand was moved to a location just north of the present Sackville Public Library. The low-lying area behind the bandstand was reclaimed in the early 1930s and developed into a community recreational park. The park was upgraded several times, and in 2003 was renamed the Bill Johnstone Memorial Park.

The bandstand remained unchanged for over 100 years except for minor renovations and repairs. It formed a focal point for the community being used for public gatherings and for a variety of recreational and entertainment purposes including Canada Day events and the summer "Concert in the Park" series.

Demolished by the Town of Sackville in March 2014 in preparation for a major redevelopment of the Bill Johnstone Memorial Park. The bandstand was deemed by the Town to be structurally unsound and not capable of being integrated into the renovated Park. The renovated Park, opened in September 2014, features a new bandstand of somewhat similar design.

Bandstand

New bandstand within the renovated Bill Johnstone Memorial Park

Jackson, Kip & Charlie Scobie, Sackville Then and Now: New Brunswick's Oldest Town in Photographs (Tantramar Heritage Trust: Sackville, N.B., 2013), p.48-50.

Tower, Katie, "Sackville bandstand torn down," Sackville Tribune-Post , 19 March 2014, p.5.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of Gone But Not Forgotten Sites

.