Tantramar Gone Sprague

Palmer

Palmer Restaurant
65 Lorne Street, Sackville, N.B.

PALMER RESTAURANT
1923

The Palmer Restaurant was a two story, concrete block Arts and Crafts building. It represented the brief period early in the 20th century when the Sackville Concrete Company offered concrete blocks for building. Entire town blocks were built of concrete block at that time but this was one of only two surviving storefronts built in Sackville in the late 1910s and early 1920s.

George Palmer built this building which contained a store and a residence. It was located near the Railway Station and also next door to the Intercolonial Hotel, and provided meals for train passengers. A popular cook, Mrs. Herbert Anderson, purchased the restaurant business in 1946 and some residents still remember the location as the Anderson Restaurant. It remained open until the mid 1960s.

Thereafter the building gradually deteriorated. It was demolished by the owner on 28 October 2015 due to safety concerns.

Because of its historical and architectural significance the building was listed on the Canadian Register of Historic Places between 2006 and 2016.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of Gone But Not Forgotten Sites