Tantramar Gone Sprague

Irving

Irving Service Station 2006
51 Main Street, Sackville, N.B.

IRVING SERVICE STATION
1936

Erected on Main Street in 1936 this service station was one of the earliest in the province of New Brunswick owned by Irving Oil. It featured a design with characteristic white exterior with red trim and a distinctive turret that was subsequently duplicated in other parts of the province. The Acadian architect Samuel Roy worked with K.C.Irving over a number of years.

Opened in December 1936 it remained an Irving Gas Station until closing in 1998. Thereafter it continued as an automobile service and repair facility until December 2005.

After the closure of the business the building was donated by Irving Oil to the Acadian Heritage Village in Caraquet, N.B. It was dismantled in April 2006 and transported in sections to the Village where it was reassembled. Irving Oil donated the building, as well as meeting the costs of restoration and the purchase of additional exhibit materials. The building was officially opened in its new location in September 2007.

Irving

Irving Service Station,
Acadian Heritage VIllage, Caraquet, 2010

Tower, Katie, "Downtown Irving building will be moved to Caraquet," Sackville Tribune-Post , 11 January 2006.

"Going ... Going ... Gone!", Sackville Tribune-Post , 3 May 2006, p.3.

"Town's former Irving station re-opens," Sackville Tribune-Post , 19 September 2007, p.4.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of Gone But Not Forgotten Sites

.