Tantramar Gone Sprague

Sackville

Sackville Memorial Hospital, 8 Main Street, Sackville, N.B.
Architect's sketch

SACKVILLE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
1946

Prior to 1946, patients requiring hospitalization had to go to Moncton or Amherst. Plans for a hospital were begun in 1943 and property purchased on the corner of Queens Road and Main Street. The new hospital was officially opened on 2 August 1946. It was named the "Sackville Memorial Hospital" in honour of those from Sackville who died in World War II.

In 1959, two wings were added - one for obstetrics and one for medical patients. With this expansion, the number of beds rose from 30 to 56.

By 1983, plans were underway to replace the old hospital.

The new hospital was built behind the old one and the old one was not torn down until the new one was ready for occupancy. The new hospital was officially opened in April 1988 and the old hospital was demolished shortly thereafter.



Right: the new Sackville Memorial Hospital

Sackville
Hospital

In 1996, the 50th anniversary of the opening of the first hospital the following plaque was placed near the entrance to the new hospital :


THIS PLAQUE WAS DEDICATED
JULY 31, 1996 TO COMMEMORATE
THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE
SACKVILLE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
AND ITS 50 YEARS OF UNSELFISH
SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY.

DONATED BY THE SACKVILLE ROTARY CLUB
AND MOUNT ALLISON UNIVERSITY.

Memorial plaque placed by Rotary Club of Sackville and Mount Allison University in 1996.

See Burnett, J.A., A Duty Toward the Living: A History of Healthcare in Tantramar (Sackville, N.B.: Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2014).


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of Gone But Not Forgotten Sites