Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

Acadian

Acadian Monument, located to rear of Campbell Carriage Factory Museum , 19 Church Street, Middle Sackville, N.B.

ACADIAN SETTLEMENT OF TINTAMARRE
c.1708 - 1755

Monument erected by Tantramar Historic Sites committee, in co-operation with the Town of Sackville, Tantramar Heritage Trust and Renaissance Sackville.

Unveiled on Thursday 12 August 2004 by His Honour Herménégilde Chiasson, Lieutenant-Governor of New Brunswick, Dr. Charles H.H.Scobie, Chair, Tantramar Historic Sites, and Oswald Gaudet, direct descendant of Augustin Gaudet, one of the three original settlers of the village of Tintamarre.

Établissement Acadien du Tintamarre
À la suite de la destruction de leur communauté de Memramcook, les fils de Pierre Gaudet l'aîne - Pierre, Abraham et Augustin - fondent le village de Tintamarre sur ces hautes terres en 1708. Tintamarre devient alors l'un des villages acadiens d'une importante colonie établie le long de la rivière Tintamarre au début des années 1700.

Les cousins Gaudet ainsi que Germain Girouard de Port-Royal figurent au nombre des premiers colons. Les Haché, les Bernard, les Bourg et les Richard fondent par la suite des villages en aval de la rivière, tandis que les Chisason, les Poirier et les Arsenot s'établissent en amont vers 1717.

Les Acadiens construisent des digues pour assécher les marais et utilisent ensuite ces terres fertiles pour la culture et l'élevage. Ils construisent une chapelle à Tintamarre vers 1723. Aprés le début de la déportation des Acadiens, les soldats britanniques ainsi que ceux de la Nouvelle-Angleterre provenant des forts Lawrence et Cumberland (jadis Beauséjour), détruissent les villages des environs, dont Tintamarre, en septembre 1755.

Malgré l'adversité rencontrée par les Acadiens, la culture acadienne s'enracine et demeure un élément important du patrimoine de la région.
Acadian Settlement of Tintamarre
Around 1708, after the destruction of their Memramcook settlement, the sons of Pierre Gaudet the Elder - Pierre, Abraham and Augustin - started another settlement on this high ground. Tintamarre became the main village of a larger settlement that extended along the Tintamarre River.

Later, Gaudet cousins and Germain Girouard left Port Royal to join the founders here, while Haché, Bernard, Bourg and Richard families founded villages downriver. Around 1717, Arsenot, Poirier and Chiasson families settled upriver.

The Acadlans built dykes along the marshes to reclaim the fertile soil on which they planted crops and raised livestock. A chapel was built at Tintamarre around 1723. Then, after the start of the Deportation of the Acadians, British and New England soldiers from Forts Cumberland (formerly Beauséjour) and Lawrence destroyed surrounding villages, including Tintamarre in September 1755.

Despite the adversity faced by the Acadians, their culture took root, and remains an important part of this area's heritage.

Tantramar Historic Sites 2004
For an enlarged version of the map on the monument, see ACADIAN MAP

TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 18th CENTURY sites