12 Folkins Drive, Middle Sackville, N.B.
Parts of the present structure date to the period from 1800 to 1820. The original part of the house is probably the back section. The basic house structure shows elements of a small house, found in New England States, in the Neo-classical style, with derivations adapted to the Maritime Vernacular style.
Easterbrooks family members were New England grantees of land in the Middle Sackville area as early as 1765. Valentine Easterbrooks was originally from Rhode Island and was first granted land in the Sackville area in 1765. By a deed dated to 1821 James Easterbrooks, the son of Valentine granted the property at this site to his son William. The land remained in the Easterbrooks family until 1904.
An important feature of the early New England settlers was the common adherence to the Baptist church, which was to provide the basis for both religious and secular leadership among the planter population. The Easterbrooks family, along with subsequent owners, Albert P. Snowdon and Harding Ayer and family, were examples of this leadership.
| This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; for fuller details see Easterbrooks House
The house is now part of the Open Sky Co-operative .
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 18th CENTURY sites