Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

St.

St. Mark's Anglican Church and Cemetery,
59 Mount Whatley Loop, Mount Whatley, N.B.

ST. MARK'S ANGLICAN CHURCH & CEMETERY,
MOUNT WHATLEY
1794

Anglican presence in this area dates back to 1768 when Rev. John Eagleson was appointed missionary in charge of the mission at Cumberland County. Services were held at his home and at Fort Lawrence. The first parish church of St. Mark was built between 1794 and 1796.

Under the leadership of Rev. Christopher Milner the church was rebuilt, the materials of the old church being used as far as possible in the new building which was constructed in 1821 and consecrated in 1836.

Under the leadership of Rev. Donald Bliss, this Church was replaced by the present St. Mark's Church in 1880, the previous church being sold off at a public auction on 25 April 1881. The present church was consecrated on 29 June 1882.

The adjacent St. Mark's Hall was built in 1896.

The cemetery dates from 1797.

St.Mark's
St. Mark's Cemetery, Mt. Whatley, 1797.

St. Mark's Mount Whatley , Sackville and Dorchester Anglican Ministries.

History of St. Mark's Anglican Church .

Estabrooks, B.H., The Westmorland Solution: A History of Anglican Churches in Westmorland Parish, 1772-1991 , 2000.

The gravestones in the cemetery are listed in St. Marks Anglican Church Cemetery .


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 18th CENTURY sites