St. Ann's Anglican Church,
The earliest church building in the Tantramar area, St. Ann's Anglican Church was built in 1817 under the leadership of Rev. John Burnyeat who had been appointed as the first Rector of the Parish of Sackville, and with the generous support of the Hon. William Botsford who donated the land.
The church is an example of classical Georgian architecture, and still retains the original barrel-vaulted ceiling which accounts for the excellent acoustics. Built of native pine and spruce its hand hewn timbers are secured by wooden pegs. The windows in the side walls are of clear glass while the east window in the chancel and the main west window are of stained glass. The interior was altered in the 1870s when an original gallery was removed and the original pews replaced.
The 22 Rectors who have served the church include Rev. G.G. Roberts, father of Sir Charles G.D. Roberts who is commemorated in the Roberts Monument adjacent to the church.
In 2005-06 a new hall was added at right angles to the sanctuarry with a connecting structure serving as the entrance to both buildings. A ramp provides handicapped access to the entrance.
Westcock, New Brunswick
Consecrated Sept.23, 1826 by
The Right Reverend
Lord Bishop of
Marker located on south wall
has welcomed worshippers
for one hundred years or more.
In commemoration of this fact
this plaque has been presented in 1967,
Canada's Centennial of Confederation year,
New Brunswick Centennial Committee.
Marker placed by New Brunswick Centennial Committee, in 1967.
Located to right of entrance door.
St. Ann's, Westcock , Sackville and Dorchester Anglican Ministries.
"125th Anniversary St. Anne's [sic] Church," The Sackville Tribune , 20 July 1942, p. 5.
Hamilton, Bill, "St. Ann's Church Marks 185th Anniversary," Sackville Tribune-Post, 18 September 2002, p.17.
Jackson, K. & C.Scobie, Sackville Then and Now: New Brunswick's Oldest Town in Photographs (Sackville, N.B.: Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2013), p.61.
On Bishop John Inglis (1777-1850), see Fingard, Judith, "INGLIS, JOHN" , Dictionary of Canadian Biography , Vol. VII, pp. 432-436.
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 19th CENTURY sites