Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

Edward

The Bennett House
67 Bridge Street, Sackville, N.B.

Previously known as
"The Edward Cogswell House".

THE BENNETT HOUSE
c.1852

This house was built by Sackville merchant, landowner and politician William Crane for his daughter Ruth and her husband Edward Cogswell (who later became agent of the Crane estate). The Cogswells’ second child Arthur was born here in 1853 (their first child, William, was born in 1851 while they were living in a cottage near the Ford House on Bridge Street). In 1854 the Cogswells sold this house to Jotham Estabrooks and moved to a new house at 55 Bridge (later known as “Marshlands” ). Later occupants of this house were Edward Bowes, Amasa Dixon and Hon. Albert W. Bennett whose name came to be associated with the house.

The symmetrical facade with three dormer windows reflects the Georgian style; the central dormer has an 8/8 window, while the side windows are 6/6. A stone verandah runs across the front of the house with the roof supported by pairs of tapered Classical columns. The Georgian portico leads to the front door which has a transom and sidelights. Many changes have been made to the building and at some stage the original clapboard has been replaced with asbestos siding.

This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.

For the Bennett House (previously known as "The Edward Cogswell House") as an example of the Georgian architectural style see Sackville Heritage Architecture Style Guide Section 1: GEORGIAN.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites