St. Paul's Anglican Church, 125 Main Street, Sackville, N.B.
The construction of St. Paul's began in 1856, based on a model brought by the Rt. Revd. John Medley, First Bishop of Fredericton. Bishop Medley's interest in Gothic Revival architecture, recreating a medieval stone building in New Brunswick wood, and his desire to see the church maintain a visible presence in the midst of an evolving society are well seen in the building and its location. The Sunday School building was built in 1879 and the Hall in 1963. A 1996 renovation project was able to connect all the buildings with a new entrance.
| Plaque placed by Town of Sackville,|
| This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; see St.Paul's Anglican Church
For St. Paul's as an example of the Gothic Revival architectural style see Sackville Heritage Architecture Style Guide Section 3: GOTHIC REVIVAL.
St. Paul's Church, Sackville , Sackville and Dorchester Anglican Ministries.
Jackson, K. & C.Scobie, Sackville Then and Now: New Brunswick's Oldest Town in Photographs (Sackville, N.B.: Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2013), p.65.
On the Anglican Church in Sackville, see Milner, W.C., History of Sackville New Brunswick (Sackville, N.B.: The Tribune Press, 1934), pp. 61,62 (available online at History of Sackville New Brunswick).
See also St. Paul's Church, Sackville, History which includes a list of all the Rectors of the parish from 1817 to the present.
On Bishop John Medley (1804-1892), see Ross, Malcolm, "MEDLEY, John," Dictionary of Canadian Biography, Vol. XII, pp. 713-717.
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 19th CENTURY sites