Tantramar Tantramar Acadian


<
Sackville

Sackville Rural Cemetery
109 York Street, Sackville, N.B.
Sackville Rural Cemetery
1864

The Sackville Rural Cemetery Company was incorporated in April 1864 with land purchased from the Bowser family. This was part of the land grant acquired from Daniel Hawkins in 1777. Modelled on Mount Auburn Cemetery, near Boston, this new style of burial ground had become popular in the 1830s. The grounds were planned as a public park and carriage roads laid out by railroad engineer R.C. Boxall.

Additional land was purchased in 1894 and 1912. The former Sackville Freestone Company rail line bordering the Cemetery was purchased in 1971. A keeper's house was constructed on the grounds in 1894. Two stone pillars at the entrance were installed in 1936 and a large ravine that passed through the property was landscaped. In 1938 the name was changed to The Sackville Cemetery Company.

The Cemetery is a narrative of Sackville's heritage and of the people from all walks of life who shaped its history.

Plaque placed by
Tantramar Historic Sites committee,
in co-operation with
the Sackville Cemetery Company,
and unveiled on 10 June 2007
Plaque

Stopps, Phyllis, "Sackville Cemetery to receive honour", Sackville Tribune-Post , 6 June 2007, p.30.

"Historic Unveiling," Sackville Tribune-Post , 13 June, 2007.

This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; see Sackville Cemetery

See Sackville Rural Cemetery" on the Find A Grave web site which lists all burials in the cemetery.

Leaflet Masters, Mariners and Merchants: A walking tour of Sackville Rural Cemetery Pioneer Section researched by Phylis Stopps (Town of Sackville, 2007), available online at Masters, Mariners and Merchants .


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites