Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

Dr

Dr. Alexander Fleming House
77 York Street, Sackville, N.B.

DR. ALEXANDER FLEMING HOUSE
c.1864

A good example of a simple Gothic Revival cottage, with Greek revival elements, this house was built by the Bowser family circa 1864, and has had several owners over the years. Dr. Alexander Fleming lived and had doctor's offices at this location from 1873 to 1882. It retained a doctor's office when it was purchased by Dr. Harmon Trueman.

The house and lot were later sold to local lawyer Thomas Kinnear and at his early death resold to George Campbell and Sons in 1897. The estate still owns the property. In 1946, the house became home to Lawren P. Harris, son of Lawren S. Harris, member of the Group of Seven. Lawren P. Harris was a war artist who lived and painted here for over 25 years and served as Head of the Fine Arts Department at Mount Allison University. Until his departure in 1975, significant works of art were produced in his studio in this house.

This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; for fuller details see Dr. Alexander Fleming House

This building is within the Town of Sackville's Municipal Conservation Area B.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites