73 Lorne Street, Sackville, N.B.
The Dominion Foundry Company began operation on this site located close to the railway station and the former Sackville wharf in 1872. In 1888, the company was sold to W. Shives Fisher and became known as the Enterprise Foundry Company. Despite a major fire in 1908 the plant was rebuilt and continued to expand. W.S.Fisher was President until his death in 1931. His sons joined the company which remained in the Fisher family until 1982.
Further capacity was added to aid the war effort in 1939-1945. By 1975 400 people were employed. By 1980 both Sackville foundries were struggling to remain viable. In 1982 Enterprise went into receivership and its assets were sold to Enheat to create a new company Enterprise Fawcett Limited which continued to operate on the Lorne Street site. In January 2012 the facility was devastated by fire.
| This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; see Enterprise Foundry
Tower, Katie, "Fire a devastating blow for Enterprise Foundry," Sackville Tribune-Post , 25 January 2012, pp.1,3.
Jackson, K. and C.Scobie, Sackville Then and Now: New Brunswick's Oldest Town in Photographs (Sackville, N.B.: Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2013), pp. 29, 32-35.
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 19th CENTURY sites