Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

Colville House
76 York Street, Sackville, N.B.

THE COLVILLE HOUSE
1879

This two-storey white clapboard house in the Carpenter Gothic style was built in 1879 for Charles W. Ford and remained in the Ford family until 1949 when it was acquired by Alex Colville one of Canada's foremost painters. Colville lived and worked here from 1949 to 1973. When he acquired the property it was in poor condition and Colville did much of the repair and restoration work himself.

In 1981 the house was purchased by Mount Allison University. In 2009 it was officially opened as "The Colville House", a centre dedicated to the life and work of Alex Colville.

Marker placed by Town of Sackville and Mount Allison University, in September 2000.
THE COLVILLE HOUSE
This house served as a private residence from the time it was built in 1879 by Charles W. Ford until sold to Mount Allison University in 1981. From 1949 until 1973 it was the residence of Alex Colville and his family. These were crucial decades in the development of Colville from wartime artist and university professor to one of Canada's leading professional artists. He restored much of this house, largely with his own hands, the same hands which produced in this place paintings of lasting importance.


Unveiling of Colville House historic marker, 30 September 2000. From left to right : Dr. Ian Newbould, President of Mount Allison University, Mrs. Rhoda Colville, Dr. Alex Colville, Dr. Charles Scobie and Mrs. Dodie Perkin, Co-Chairs of Historic Sites Identification Project

This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; see Colville House

This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Area B.

Leroux, John and Thaddeus Holownia, A Vision in Wood and Stone: The Architecture of Mount Allison University (Kentville, N.S.: Gaspereau Press, 2016), pp.211-212.

The Colville House on the Mount Allison University web site, which includes a feature on "Alex Colville's Life & Work."

Fisher, Meredith, "Town Prepares To Throw Special Birthday Party," Sackville Tribune-Post , 27 September 2000, p.14.

Dobson, Terry, "The Power Of Paint," "Town Honours Colville With Birthday Bash," Sackville Tribune-Post , 4 October 2000, p.6.

On 17 September 2009 the Colville House was officially opened as a centre dedicated to the work of renowned Canadian artist and Allisonian Alex Colville. The facility houses an exhibition which includes a multimedia presentation, audio-visual resources and reproductions of Colville paintings. The Colville House was restored with the help of generous funding from Mount Allison alumni and friends.

"The Colville House, in its new form, is a wonderful addition to the Mount Allison University campus and honours one of our most distinguished graduates - Alex Colville. Coupled with the Owens Art Gallery, the oldest university art gallery in Canada, the facility will enhance Mount Allison and Sackville, making our community one of the most active cultural and artistic centres in the country" - Robert Campbell, President, Mount Allison University, on the occasion of the opening of the Colville House centre.

"Colville House officially opens at Mount Allison University," Sackville Tribune-Post ,23 September, 2009, p.24.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites