Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

MacGregor

114 York Street, Sackville, N.B.

THE MacGREGOR HOUSE
1880

This structure began life as an addition to the Thomas Pickard House at 90 York Street. In 1880 Thomas Pickard enlarged the original house in order to provide accomodation for his wife's sister. When Dr. Charles L. Gass acquired the house in 1929 he subdivided the lot, detached this unit and moved it to the newly created adjacent lot (at 86 York Street) in order to provide accomodation next door for his brother-in-law Dr. Donald MacGregor and family.

The house with its symmetrical facade is a good example of the Classical Revival style of the mid-1800s. The central porch has a pediment, 8-paned sidelights, and a six-panelled door (sometimes referred to as a "Christian door" because it contains two crosses).

Donald MacGregor, a native of Amherst, N.S., was a graduate of Dalhousie and McGill Universities, and a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford. He was professor of Physics at Mount Allison University for 42 years, and served as Secretary of Faculty and Senate. When he died in 1982 the house was acquired by Mount Allison University. By 2007 it was deemed to be surplus to the University's requirements and was offered for sale at a nominal price on condition that it was moved from its site at 86 York. The offer was taken up and the house was moved on 22 August 2007 (see photo right) to a new location at 114 York (photo above).

MacGregor

LeBlanc, Chris, "Historic MacGregor house on the move . . . again," Sackville Tribune-Post , 22 August 2007, p.15.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites