Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

Charles

Dr. Charles Stewart House,
85 York Street, Sackville, N.B.

DR. CHARLES STEWART HOUSE
1882

Rev. Dr. Charles Stewart purchased this property from Dr. Alexander Fleming and built the house in 1882. Dr. Stewart, a native of Glasgow, Scotland, came to Mount Allison to occupy the chair of Moral Philosophy and Evidences of Christianity. After 33 years in that position, for the last few years before his death in 1910 he was Professor of Homiletics and Pastoral Theology. His family continued to live in the home until 1930; since then the house has been owned by several Sackville families.

The house with its assymetrical facade has many features of the Second Empire architectural style. The facade has a two-storey bay window, a Second Empire dormer with pediment top, and a flat-topped Mansard roof with decorative cornice. The glassed-in porch has a hip roof and panelling at the lower level. The roof is covered with brown-stained shingles, while the rest of the house has Jamestown Blue clapboards with white trim.

This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area B.

For the Stewart House as an example of the Second Empire architectural style see Sackville Heritage Architecture Style Guide Section 5: SECOND EMPIRE.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites