Tantramar Tantramar Acadian


Upper

Upper Sackville United Church
148 Pond Shore Road, Sackville, N.B.

UPPER SACKVILLE UNITED CHURCH
1883

Upper Sackville Methodists worshipped in the original 1790 chapel in Middle Sackville. The congregation split in 1818 and the Upper Sackville Methodist Church was formed at that time, at a site near the present church. Their earlier building had become too small for their needs and a new building, designed by Richard C. Boxall, was erected in Upper Sackville and dedicated on 11 November 1883. The church consists of a tower, the main sanctuary and, at right angles to that, a Sunday School room. Originally known as Upper Sackville Methodist Church, the congregation became part of the United Church of Canada in 1925.

In 2003 the church received a major renovation to the tower, plus the addition of new vinyl siding.

EST.1818

UPPER
SACKVILLE

UNITED
CHURCH

SUNDAY
SERVICE
9 A.M.


Current sign outside the church
at 148 Pond Shore Road

Upper
Bell

Outside the church there is a wooden stand which protects a bell from the church, commemorating the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.

The bell is inscribed as follows :


DIAMOND JUBILEE
JUNE 22ND.
1837 - 1897
ERECTED BY
THE METHODIST CHURCH OF UPPER SACKVILLE, N.B.
IN GRATEFUL RECOGNITION OF THE
LONG AND PROSPEROUS REIGN OF
HER MOST GRACIOUS MAJESTY
QUEEN VICTORIA
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN
Bell

This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; see Upper Sackville United Church

"Upper Sackville United Church Gets Facelift," Sackville Tribune-Post , 5 February 2003, p.2.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites