Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

John

John Burwash House II
89 York Street, Sackville, N.B.

JOHN BURWASH HOUSE II
c.1884

Science Professor John Burwash built the adjacent house at 87 York Street c.1880 but left on a leave of absence in 1882 selling that house to Prof.Alfred D. Smith. Burwash returned to Sackville in 1884 and built this house. When Burwash left Sackville for good in 1890 the house was sold to the University which sold it to Dr. William Watson in 1906. The Watson family sold it to lawyer Malcolm McIntyre in 1944. After McIntyre left to go to British Columbia in 1947 the house was rented for a number of years before being acquired by its present owners.

The original part of the house (on the left) has the gable end facing the street. In 1907 Dr. William Watson enlarged the building by adding the wing on the right giving the house an L-shaped assymetrical design; the addition has two-storey bay windows on the east end. The main entrance is via a porch in the corner of the "L".


     This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area B.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites