Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

Powell

The Powell Block,
2 Bridge Street, Sackville, N.B

POWELL BLOCK
1886-87

The Powell Block was built in 1886-1887 as a distinctive three-story brick building in the Italianate style. Renovations in 1930 changed the entrance to the building, and moved the stairway to the upper floors to a new section that filled in the 9 foot gap between this building and the adjacent Wood Block. This location was previously the site of the second of four Methodist churches in Sackville.

The building was constructed to provide law offices (on the second floor) for Henry A. Powell who graduated from Mount Allison University in 1875 and became a barrister in 1880.

The initial ground floor tenant was The Merchant Bank of Halifax. It became the Royal Bank of Canada in 1901. In 1909, when the Royal Bank moved into another building across the street, the Bank of Nova Scotia acquired the ground floor and they remained at this site until 1978. The third floor was intended for the social activities of numerous Sackville lodges.

This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; for fuller details see Powell Block

This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.

See Jackson, K. and C. Scobie, Sackville Then and Now: New Brunswick's Oldest Town in Photographs (Sackville, N.B.: Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2013), p.23.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites