The Trueman-Dixon House
In 1886 George Johnson Trueman (1856-1890), a great-grandson of Yorkshire settler William Trueman, purchased this property from the Cogswell estate and began construction of the house which was completed in the following year. After his untimely death, the house became the property of Joseph Dixon, grandson of Yorkshire settler Charles Dixon, who was a teacher and Sackville postmaster from 1866.
The wood-frame one and a half storey house is in the Gothic Revival style with high-pitched roof and central front gable which features a pointed window with Gothic detailing. The wide glassed-in porch is closed at one end, but open at the other allowing access from a set of stairs to the front door. The open end has decorative brackets. The house sits on a red sandstone foundation.
| This house is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.
For the Trueman-Dixon House as an example of the Gothic Revival architectural style see Sackville Heritage Architecture Style Guide Section 3: GOTHIC REVIVAL.
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 19th CENTURY sites