Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

Main Street Baptist Church
20 Main Street, Sackville, N.B.

MAIN STREET BAPTIST CHURCH
1763 / 1905

Both Sackville Main Street Baptist Church and their sister church Middle Sackville Baptist Church trace their origins to the first Baptist congregation in Canada established in Middle Sackville near Morice's Mill Pond/Silver Lake by a group of thirteen Baptist settlers from Swansea, Mass. who landed at Slack's Cove in 1763. While the majority of these settlers returned to Massachusetts in 1771 the congregation was reconstituted under the leadership of Joseph Crandall in 1798. After a period of growth and the building of several chapels a division of the field was made with those living north of Ogden Mill Road attending Middle Sackville Baptist Church while those living south of this point were connected to Main Street Baptist Church.

The present Sackville Main Street Baptist Church building was constructed in 1890, and a Christian education wing was added at the rear of the building in the early 1960s.

MacFadden, Beryl, with Donna Beal and Kim Mitton, Passing It On: Meeting the Challenge 1763-1988 (Sackville, N.B.: Main Street Baptist Church, 1988).

Jackson, K. and C. Scobie, Sackville Then and Now: New Brunswick's Oldest Town in Photographs (Sackville, N.B.: Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2013), pp.61,64.

On the importance of the Baptist allegiance of many of the New England Planters who came to Sackville, see Snowdon, James D., Footprints in the Marsh Mud: Politics and Land Settlement in the Township of Sackville 1760-1800 (M.A. thesis, University of New Brunswick, 1974; reprinted, Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2000), pp. 28-30.

On Joseph Crandall see Bumsted, J.M., "CRANDALL, JOSEPH," Dictionary of Canadian Biography , vol. VIII.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 18th CENTURY sites