Tantramar Tantramar Acadian


Anchorage

Anchorage Carriage House,
78A York Street, Sackville, N.B.

ANCHORAGE CARRIAGE HOUSE
1893

This structure lies at the rear of The Anchorage and originally served as the carriage house for the the main building constructed in 1892-93 by Henry Powell.

It was acquired by Mount Allison when the Anchorage was left to the university. In 1986 it was extensively renovated. Like the Anchorage House, the Carriage House is a residence for senior students: see Senior Studdent Small Residence Living .

THE CARRIAGE HOUSE

THIS BUILDING WAS ORIGINALLY A CARRIAGE HOUSE AND PART OF THE ESTATE OF CAPT. R.V. BENNETT (BROTHER OF THE RT. HON. R.B. BENNETT, PRIME MINISTER OF CANADA, 1930-1935).

THE RENOVATION WAS MADE POSSIBLE THROUGH THE GENEROUS ASSISTANCE OF THE THEMADEL FOUNDATION , AS A PROJECT MARKING THE BI-CENTENARY OF THE PROVINCE OF NEW BRUNSWICK, AND THE MARITIME TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE COMPANY , IN MEMORY OF DR. A MURRAY MacKAY, A FORMER MEMBER OF THE BOARD OF REGENTS OF MOUNT ALLISON.

OFFICIALLY OPENED, OCTOBER 3, 1986

Plaque

Plaque unveiled 1986.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites