Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

Cuthbertson

84 York Street, Sackville, N.B.

THE CUTHBERTSON HOUSE
1894

Mount Allison Mathematics Professor Sidney Walker Hunton acquired the lot (84 York Street) and built this house in 1894. On the death of Dr. Hunton in 1941 his children deeded the property to Mount Allison Chemistry Professor Dr. Arnold C. Cuthbertson in 1942. The Cuthbertson family had been living on the opposite side of York Street; they lived in this location for 40 years.

The house is a striking example of the Shingle Style which flourished in the late 1800s. Shingles on the walls and gables are varied with decorative panels on the walls. The asymmetrical facade, steeply pitched hip roof with cross gables, porches at front and rear, and corner windows are all features of this style.

After Dr. Cuthbertson died in 1982 and his widow in 1994 the house was acquired by Mount Allison University. The University deemed the property surplus to its requirements and in 2014 it was sold for a nominal fee on condition that it was moved. Accordingly it was moved to its present site behind the Thomas Pickard House (90A York Street).

Cuthbertson

90A York Street, Sackville, N.B.


This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area B.

For the Cuthbertson House as an example of the Shingle architectural style see Sackville Heritage Architecture Style Guide Section 7 : SHINGLE.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites