Tantramar Tantramar Acadian


Dr. Copp's House
47 Bridge Street, Sackville, N.B.
DR. COPP'S HOUSE
1895

This lot changed hands several times in the 1880s before being acquired in 1895 by William McDougall of Maitland, N.S. who built this house and who was manager of the Merchant Bank of Halifax in Sackville between 1883 and 1902.

Longtime owner of the house was Dr.Edgar Maitland Copp who acquired the property in 1906. A native of Baie Verte, Dr. Copp studied medicine in Philadelphia and at McGill University specializing in eye, ear, nose and throat. He served as a doctor in Sackville for over fifty years up to the time of his death in 1954.

The house changed hands several times thereafter and became well known as the Savoy Arms a successful bed and breakfast business.

It was originally built in the Queen Anne Revival style, with changes made in the 1920s.

Historical marker placed by Town of Sackville, in 1999.

The marker is in error in giving the date of construction as 1880. The house was built in 1895.

1880
DR. COPP'S HOUSE

In the early 1900's, this was the home and office of Dr. E.M. Copp, a medical doctor. His career began as a general practice and he delivered many a baby. After a residency in New York city, he became an eye, ear, nose and throat specialist.

This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites