The Copp House
Harvey Copp a native of Jolicure and originally a farmer moved to Sackville in 1892 and built this house in 1896. On his death in 1909 the property was inherited by his son Arthur Bliss Copp. From 1895 onwards A.B.Copp had a law practice in Sackville. Along with his partner Mariner Teed he built the Copp block at 7 Bridge Street in 1897.
A.B.Copp went on to become a member of parliament being elected in 1915 and re-elected in 1917 and 1921. He became Secretary of State in the Mackenzie King government in 1921, and was appointed to the Senate in 1925. He died in December 1949 and Mrs. Copp, the former Elizabeth M. Bell, died less than a week later.
Historical marker placed by Town of Sackville, in 1999.
The historical marker is in error in giving the date of construction as 1880. The house was built in 1896.
This house was the home of Senator A.B. Copp, a well known lawyer and politician, who also built the oldest stone building on Bridge Street. Previously it had been the home of Harvey Copp, who was A.B. Copp's father.
This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.
For the Copp House as an example of the Queen Anne Revival architectural style see Sackville Heritage Architecture Style Guide Section 9: QUEEN ANNE REVIVAL.
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 19th CENTURY sites