Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

The

The Copp Block
7 Bridge Street, Sackville, N.B.

THE COPP BLOCK
1897

Law partners A.B.Copp (see the Copp House ) and Mariner G. Teed purchased this site from the H.B Allison estate following the death of Mrs. Sarah Allison in 1893. The building was constructed in 1897 and the law offices occupied in February 1898. It is typical of the period, being constructed of brick with local stone used for the window sills and lintels and for quoins which decorate the corners of the building. The structure was damaged in the fire of 1912 and part of the law library was lost.

Despite a varied political career Senator Copp maintained an office here until his death in 1949. Lawyers who have served in this building for extended periods of time include Mariner G. Teed and A. B. Copp, George R. McCord and A. B. Copp, James M. MacIntyre, Wendell W. Meldrum, Wynn W. Meldrum and Kirk W. Meldrum. In the 1990s the upper two stories were converted for use as an apartment.

Plaque placed by Town of Sackville, in 1999.

THE COPP BLOCK
1897

The Copp Block was built for A.B. Copp, lawyer, politician, Secretary of State and Senator. The ground floor has served as a law office ever since construction and Senator Copp maintained an office here from 1897 until his death in December of 1949. The Meldrum Law Office has been housed here since 1948. Lawyers who have practiced here for ten years or more include The Hon. A.B. Copp, Judge James M. MacIntyre, The Hon. Wendell W. Meldrum, Wynn W. Meldrum and Kirk W. Meldrum. Other long term businesses which have been housed here include the Tip Top Tailor Shop of G. Arthur Sparkes, William M. Walker General Insurance and Canadian National Telegraph Office.

This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 19th CENTURY sites