Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

The Henderson Block
3 - 5 Bridge Street, Sackville, N.B.

THE HENDERSON BLOCK
1900

This building was constructed in 1900 by A.B.Copp and Henry R. Fawcett on land acquired from the Henry B. Allison estate. It blends well with the adjacent Copp Block and like it is of red brick with local stone used for the window sills and lintels and for the decorative quoins. At one time this building was connected to the Copp Block at the third floor level. Fortunately it largely escaped the ravages of the 1912 fire suffering only some water damage.

The building has housed a variety of businesses. R.G. Henderson bought the building in 1913 and renovated it to accomodate a combined drug store and book shop. An addition was made to the rear of the building in 1922. When R.G.Henderson died in 1942 his wife carried on the business until it was taken over by his sons John and James Henderson. The site remained a drug store until 1992.

Plaque placed by Town of Sackville, in 1999

1900
THE HENDERSON BLOCK

Built by Henry Fawcett and A.B. Copp in 1900, this block was the home of the Sackville Book Store, owned by W.R. Goodwin until 1906, and then also a drugstore operated by W.R. Rodd, a druggist and optician. For a time, it was known as the Fawcett-Copp Block, named after the two men who had it built. In 1912, the Block was purchased by R.G. Henderson, who established Henderson's Drug Store, thus resulting in the current name, Henderson Block.

For the Henderson Block as an example of the Main Street Commercial architectural style see Sackville Heritage Architecture Style Guide Section 4: MAIN STREET COMMERCIAL.

This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 20th CENTURY sites