St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church,
This building at the corner of Bridge and Squire Streets was erected in 1905 and served as both a sanctuary and hall. By 1944 , the congregation was able to undertake a major renovation of the building, turning it round ninety degrees (to its present position) and reconstructing it as a church in a traditional Gothic style. A stained glass window of "The Good Shepherd" was donated by Senator and Mrs. A.B. Copp and installed in 1952.
1989 saw an extension to the church building at the west end which provided a new main entrance, a spacious foyer, a washroom and meeting room on the main level, and additional hall space on the lower level. In the following year a Letourneau pipe organ was installed in the sanctuary.
Plaque placed by Town of Sackville, in 2000.
Presbyterians worshipped in Middle Sackville from the 1840's and built a church there in 1871 which was used until the turn of the century when they began to meet in Sackville. The present structure was built as a two-storey hall and dedicated on November 19, 1905. In 1944 it was turned around and reconstructed as a church, which was further extended in 1989.
This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.
Hamilton, Bill, "Saint Andrew . . . 'Come Away In' to St. Andrew's Church," Sackville Tribune-Post , 16 November 2005, p.5.
Jackson, K. & C.Scobie, Sackville Then and Now: New Brunswick's Oldest Town in Photographs (Sackville, N.B.: Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2013), p.64.
On the Presbyterian Church in Sackville, see
Our Roots on the St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church web site.
Milner, W.C., History of Sackville New Brunswick (Sackville, N.B.: The Tribune Press, 1934), p.54 (also available online at History of Sackville New Brunswick);
Hay, Eldon, The Chignecto Covenanters: A Regional History of Reformed Presbyterianism in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, 1827-1905 (Montreal & Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press, 1996), especially pp. 133-135.
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 20th CENTURY sites