Middle Sackville Superior School
14 School Lane, Middle Sackville
School District No. 11 purchased just over an acre of land from Sackville merchant Josiah Wood in June 1907 on which to construct this two-storey building in the Queen Anne style. Officially opened on December 20, 1907, the school could house one hundred and sixty students.
Middle Sackville Superior School offered all grades, replacing a one-room elementary school and a two-room Superior School built in 1894. The school operated until June 1974 but by that time it had become an elementary school offering grades one to four.
Since then a number of groups have occupied the building. Currently it houses the offices of Community Forests International which has worked to restore the building.
|See Jackson, K. and C. Scobie, Sackville Then and Now: New Brunswick's Oldest Town in Photographs (Sackville, N.B.: Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2013, pp.68-69.|
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 20th CENTURY sites