Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

Adelia

The Adelia Calhoun House
49 Bridge Street, Sackville, N.B.

THE ADELIA CALHOUN HOUSE
1913

This house was built by Adelia Calhoun in 1913 after the death of her second husband when she decided to settle in Sackville along with her son by her first marriage, Warren Cole. The lot which she purchased was originally part of the Cogswell estate. After her death in 1924 Warren continued to live in the house until his death in 1966, following which the house became the home of the Donald Cameron family.

The two and a half storey structure exhibits features of the Queen Anne Revival style, particularly in the large verandah which wraps around the front and east sides. The verandah has squared columns and base panels, and is glassed in on the east side to form a sun porch. An entrance portico which breaks the line of the verandah leads in to the front door which has a transom and sidelights. Two Palladian style windows are found on the main floor, and one central one on the second floor. The hip roof projects over the second floor with exposed beams, and on the front has two round topped dormers. There are bays with projecting dormers on both west and east sides.


     This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 20th CENTURY sites