The Wood Block
The Wood Block replaced the earlier Music Hall Block which was destroyed by fire in 1914. The site was rebuilt in 1914-15 by Josiah Wood who turned over the management of his business interests to his son William T. Wood. The building included the Imperial Theatre on the upper level which served as a venue for stage shows, public lectures and movies. The ground floor level has been used for a wide variety of shops, restaurants, stores and offices.
In 1994, The Wood Block was declared a Provincial Heritage Site.
THE WOOD BLOCK
Constructed of local stone,
PROVINCIAL HISTORIC SITE.
Plaque placed by Province of New Brunswick (Provincial Historic Site), in 2000.
This site is listed in the Canadian Register of Historic Places ; see Wood Block
This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.
Jackson, K. and C.Scobie, Sackville Then and Now: New Brunswick's Oldest Town in Photographs (Sackville, N.B.: Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2013), pp. 23, 40-41.
Allen, Rod, "The Imperial Theatre: Sackville's grand old ruin," Moncton Times-Transcript , 26 January 2002.
Ridlington, Emily, "Imperial Theatre Still Standing After 90 Years," Sackville Tribune-Post , 11 May 2005, p. 15.
"A Visit To The Past," Sackville Tribune-Post , 9 August 2006, p. 14.
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 20th CENTURY sites