Sackville Bowling Alley
27 Bridge Street, Sackville, N.B.
The building which originally stood on this site was completely destroyed in the 1912 fire. The structure which replaced it was badly damaged in the 1938 fire.
Herbert Tracy undertook to rebuild it as a bowling alley and this was opened in February 1939. At the same time Herbert reconstructed the adjacent building at 23-25 Bridge Street. The bowling alley has been in operation since then.
In keeping with its new policy the Town required that the building must be of brick. The east side was subsequently covered with grey horizontal siding. Half way up the facade there is a frieze board with 3 brackets. The flat roof has a cornice with one bracket at the left.
The upper level contains apartments for rent. At one time the front of the main floor housed a flower shop.
This building is within the Town of Sackville Municipal Heritage Conservation Area A.
On the 1938 fire and its aftermath see K. Jackson & C. Scobie, Sackville Then and Now: New Brunswick's Oldest Town in Photographs (Tantramar Heritage Trust: Sackville, N.B., 2013), p.43.
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 20th CENTURY sites