Wallace McCain Student Centre,
WALLACE McCAIN STUDENT CENTRE
After the destruction of the second Men's Residence in a disastrous fire in December 1941 the need for a new residence was finally met by the opening of this building in 1946. Designed by C.A. Fowler & Company, it was named for George Johnstone Trueman, President of the University from 1923 to 1945.
After undergoing extensive renovations in 2006-2008 the building was re-opened as the Wallace McCain Student Centre, containing a wide range of student services.
Projecting from the rear of the building is Tweedie Hall, notable as the site of a large mural entitled "The History of Mount Allison" painted in 1948 by noted Canadian artist Alex Colville (see Alex Colville on the Mount A web site). The mural features both the old men's residence which burned down and the new Trueman House.
Leroux, John and Thaddeus Holownia, A Vision in Wood & Stone: The Architecture of Mount Allison University , (Kentville, N.S.: Gaspereau Press, 2016), pp.109-115, 208-210.
Jackson, Kip and Charlie Scobie, Sackville Then And Now: New Brunswick's Oldest Town in Photographs (Sackville, N.B.: Tantramar Heritage Trust, 2013), p.87.
On George Johnstone Trueman see Past Presidents on the Mount Allison web site.
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 20th CENTURY sites