Tantramar Tantramar Acadian

Bennett

Bennett Building,
10 Salem Street, Sackville, N.B.

THE BENNETT BUILDING
1956

This building was constructed in 1956 to house a Federal Department of Public Works Animal Pathology Laboratory for the study of animal diseases in the Maritimes. Subsequently it was acquired by Mount Allison University and is currently used by the university's Computing Services Department.

Facing across the lower campus to the Flemington Building, it is built in a traditonal Tudor-Gothic style. Despite appearances it is not made of stone but of a pink concrete/stucco imitation masonry.

In 1998 it was renamed "The Bennett Building" in honour of the two sons of Captain Ronald V. Bennett both of whom lost their lives in the Second World War. Captain Bennett was a strong supporter and benefactor of the university.

THE BENNETT BUILDING

In honour of Major Edwin Ronald Bennett and Lieutenant Henry Harrison Bennett, sons of Captain Ronald V. and Mrs. Elva Maclean Bennett of Sackville. The Bennett brothers were killed in action in August 1944 in Normandy, France, during World War II. Captain Bennett was a distinguished benefactor of Mount Allison University.

Dedicated October 23, 1998 in the presence of the Hon. Andy Scott, Solicitor General of Canada, The Hon. Bernard Richard, Minister of Education, Province of New Brunswick, Mr. Purdy Crawford, Chancellor and Mr. J. James Keith, Chairman Board of Regents.

Plaque placed by Mount Allison University, in 1998.

Bennett

Leroux, John and Thaddeus Holownia, A Vision in Wood and Stone: The Architecture of Mount Allison University (Kentville, N.S.: Gaspereau Press, 2016), pp.121-122.

Dobson, Terry, "Building Named For Bennett Brothers," Sackville Tribune-Post , 28 October 1998, p.16.


TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page

List of 20th CENTURY sites