Mount Allison University Athletic Centre,
Designed by Toronto architects Sproatt & Rolph the Mount Allison Athletic Centre was opened on 28 October 1961. The Centre houses a variety of facilities including a 1200-seat capacity gymnasium and a 25-metre swimming pool. The modern design includes a large portico framing the main entrance. Prominently displayed is the Latin motto "MENS SANA IN CORPORE SAN0" (a healthy mind in a healthy body).
There are two plaques on the exterior of the building. One honours Rev. W.S. Godfrey for his efforts in fundraising for the Centre; the other identifies the builders, engineers and contractors.
The triptych "Athletes" (1960-61) by Canadian artist Alex Colville is located in the entrance hall of the building.
THE FUNDS FOR WHICH WERE GENEROUSLY PROVIDED BY STUDENTS, ALUMNI AND FRIENDS, AND IN GRATEFUL RECOGNITION OF THE DEDICATED WORK OF THE REVEREND W.S. GODFREY, B.A., D.D., LL.D., WHOSE UNTIRING EFFORTS WERE LARGELY RESPONSIBLE FOR MOST OF THE GENEROUS CONTRIBUTIONS WITHOUT WHICH THIS BUILDING COULD NOT HAVE BEEN ERECTED.
THE FOUNDATION COMPANY
THE DESIGN AND ENGINEERING FOR THIS BUILDING WERE DONATED BY FOUNDATION OF CANADA ENGINEERING CORPORATION LIMITED
MECHANICAL TRADES WERE SUPPLIED AND INSTALLED AT COST AS A CONTRIBUTION BY STEEN MECHANICAL CONTRACTORS LIMITED
| On the building of the Athletic Centre, see Reid, John G., Mount Allison University: A History to 1963, Vol.II: 1914-1963 (Toronto: University of Toronto, 1984), p. 315.
Leroux, John and Thaddeus Holownia, A Vision in Wood & Stone: The Architecture of Mount Allison University , (Kentville, N.S.: Gaspereau Press, 2016), pp. 138-142.
TANTRAMAR HISTORIC SITES home page
List of 20th CENTURY sites